How your child acts at school may or may not be affected by his/her mental health issue. It depends upon the type of issue. Many times, it is helpful to talk with your child’s school counselor or social worker (or other school-based mental health staff), to inform them of your child’s diagnosis and treatment so they can give the right support at school. In some cases, school-based services can be very helpful. For more serious mental health concerns, your child’s issue may be recognized through an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) that provides your child with added services and supports in school. It is important to work closely with your school to make sure your child is observed and tested so that he/she can get the right support and services if needed. For minor mental health concerns, some parents choose not to share the information with the school and are not required to share it, as this information is considered confidential.