You may want to talk to your child’s teacher to find out as much as you can about what is going on: when does this harmful behavior occur, who is involved (always the same child or everyone), and how often does it happen.   Child Care Centers may have a consultant knowledgeable about young children’s mental health. The consultant may be from a local mental health clinic or a county mental health center. Together you may want to engage that consultant to help you and the staff figure out the best plan for your child.
It is important that you keep an open dialogue with your child care provider so that you are aware of and can address any problems or concerns as soon as they appear. Working collaboratively in partnership with your provider is often much more effective than developing an adversarial relationship. However, if you have concerns that your child’s needs are not being met or it is not the best environment for your child, you may want to explore other options. If you need assistance, and you live in Connecticut, please call 211.

In Connecticut, the Early Childhood Consultation Partnership offers help to child care programs for children with challenging behaviors. It is important that you and your child get help before your child enters public school. When children have problems with their teachers and peers early in life it can affect how they will learn in school when they become older.